Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1870 & 79

Thomas Lomax Barrett (1827 - 1878)

 James Lomax Barrett owned the Irwell Bleachworks at Douglas Green, Pendleton and lived at Pendleton Old Hall. He was also a member of Salford School Board.

He was born in 1827 in Blackburn, Lancashire and baptised on 11th May 1828 at Saint Peter's Parish Church Bolton. His father was Peter Barrett (1804 – 1875), Bread Baker (and later, Gentleman) and his mother was Elizabeth Barrett. In 1851, 23-year-old James was lodging at Back O' th' Bank, Little Bolton and was employed in a cotton bleach works. 

On 12th May 1858, James married Hannah Pennington at St Peter's Parish Church, Bolton, where he was described as a Bleacher's Manager. Hannah was the daughter of Samuel Pennington, Gentleman. There appears to be no census returns for the couple, but at some point James acquired Irwell Bleachworks and resided at Pendleton Old Hall in Pendleton, Salford. James died in September 1878 aged 50 at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire and was buried at Weaste Cemetery in A4 Vault C of E.



A notice appeared in the Guardian of 26th October 1878 advertising the disposal of "Valuable Bleachworks and Residence near Manchester. The Irwell Bleachworks with the water wheel and reservoirs thereto, situate at Douglas Green, Pendleton, near Manchester; together with the residence known as Pendleton Old Hall with the pleasure grounds, conservatories, vineries, kitchen garden, stabling, coach-house and paddock thereto and 15 cottages adjoining or adjacent thereto. The works, situate on the banks of the River Irwell, are extensive in convenience, well built and arranged and admirably adapted for carrying on the large and lucrative business so successfully conducted by the late owner. They embrace extensive Grey-room, with platform weighing machines and large and commodious store cellars. Stitching rooms with machines in excellent working order. Engine room and boiler house, with powerful 60 horse power engine, new 1875 flywheel of 34ft diameter weighing 20 tons, two tubular boilers by W and J Cole of Bolton, recently fitted with Galloway's tubes, Green's economiser with 193 pipes. Bowking house with eight iron kiers by Cole, nearly new. Croft with three washing machines, six stone kiers, chemic and sour pumps, and large tanks complete, scotching frames, squeezers, etc. Mangle place with 7-bowl mangles, 9-bowl mangles, three stiffening mangles, one set of drying cylinders. Calendering place with two 7-bowl calenders, one 5-bowl calender, spindle and chasing machines by T Jackson and Co of Bolton, damping and stretching machines, hoist and gearing. Making-up and Packing room contains large hydraulic press, small press, pulling-off frame, doubling frame, etc, drying stove, two hanging machines, one taking-down machine. The Mechanic's shop has a lathe with 16 ft bed and 20 inch centres, and benches, anvils, vices, etc. Connected with the works are a very large water-wheel, 20 ft in diameter and 19 ft broad, and a turbine. The water of the River Irwell is utilised for working the wheel, besides which there is a boundless supply of clear spring water obtained from a bore over 400 ft deep. The reservoir and filters are extensive and effective. The Hall is built in the Elizabethan style, the rooms are numerous, spacious and well ventilated and in close contiguity to the works. The cottages produce a gross yearly rental of £100-3s-10d."