Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1930 & 39

Samuel Henry Lees (1862 - 1933)

Samuel Henry Lees was an Alderman for Salford Council and played a prominent part in developing parks in Salford.


He was born in Salford on 10th January 1862. The family lived in East Philip Street and both he and his father Samuel Lees worked in the oil company founded by his grandfather in 1840. Samuel Henry and his wife Martha had 5 sons and 2 daughters. His eldest son Samuel, became Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Birmingham University. Martha was a zealous Social Worker and was president of the South Salford Women's Conservative Association.


Samuel Henry was a Conservative in politics and was first elected to the Council in November 1902 for Trinity Ward. He was devoted to the Parks Committee and during this time the Council acquired Buile Hill Park, Light Oaks Park, Bolton Road Playing Fields and Littleton Road Playing Fields. He was appointed Deputy Chairman in 1913 and after being appointed an Alderman in 1921, he became its Chairman in 1927. Samuel Henry resuscitated the Peel Park Flower Show after World War 1 and was successful in bringing the Royal Lancashire Show to Salford in 1933, although he was to die before it came. He did much philanthropic and social work and was a Distributor for both Dickanson's and Booth Charities. He was a Governor at Hulme Grammar School, Manchester Grammar School and North Manchester School. He was appointed a Magistrate in November 1920. Although he was invited to become Mayor of Salford he declined.


Samuel Henry Lees was a devoted churchgoer, being Church Warden at both Sacred Trinity and Manchester Cathedral. He was a keen follower of rugby League, supporting Broughton Rangers and played bowls.


It was at Christmas 1932 that Samuel Henry Lees was confined to bed with bronchitis. On Monday 16th January his condition deteriorated and he died on Thursday 19th at his home 142A Great Clowes Street, Broughton. He was 71. The funeral was held at Manchester Cathedral on 24th January and the impressive service was conducted by Rev. Canon Peter Green. The courtage then proceeded to Weaste for interment.