Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1900 & 09

Patrick Veldon (1873 - 1902)

Patrick Veldon was a petty criminal who was shot dead in a public house in Salford, after attacking the Landlord.


The Salford Reporter of 19th July 1902 says "A sensational occurrence took place in the Greengate district on Saturday last, when a notorious character named Patrick Veldon was shot dead in the British Queen public house, Queen Street, Salford, by the Landlord John Earnshaw".


Patrick Veldon, aged 29, had a police record of 40 convictions including one for stabbing. He had lived with his wife Catherine and three children at 43, King Street, but three weeks prior to the shooting he had moved out to lodgings in Gravel Lane. On Saturday 12th July, Veldon and his friends Arthur English, Agnes Tracey, a music hall artiste and her sister Annie Burrows began drinking at the British Queen at 8.45 am. By 12.30 pm, the Landlord John Earnshaw assessed that they had had too much to drink and refused to serve them any more. Veldon became violent and struck Earnshaw in the face, giving him a black eye. He jumped over the bar and a struggle ensued. Mrs Earnshaw reached for an iron poker and struck Veldon on the side of the head. The group then left the pub. Veldon went to his lodgings to clean the blood off his head whilst the others went to the Waterloo public house. Earnshaw decided to get his revolver from his bedroom and placed it on a shelf below the bar.


Veldon decided to go back to the British Queen, but first, he called into a shop owned by Arthur Platt, to "borrow" a large knife. He entered the pub and challenged Earnshaw again. He jumped onto the bar, but was pushed off. Earnshaw grabbed his revolver in order to frighten off his assailant. But Veldon grabbed a three leg stool and was just about to strike Earshaw when the revolver was discharged. Veldon staggered out of the pub and fell to the street and died in a pool of blood.


John Earnshaw was placed under arrest for the wilful murder of Patrick Veldon. He appeared at a crowded Salford Police Court on Monday 14th July before Stipendiary Magistrate Mr J Makinson and remanded until Wednesday 23rd July. Bail was posted at £100 with one Surety of £50.


An Inquest was held on Tuesday afternoon, 15th July. Dr Johnson, House Physician, said that Veldon was brought to Salford Royal Hospital at 1.55pm and that he performed the post mortem. He said that there was a bullet entry wound on the right side of his chest 2 inches below the collar bone. The bullet had passed through the right lung, causing much bleeding; through the heart; and exited from his left side 6 inches below his left armpit. He also had a laceration on his forehead caused by a blunt instrument. After hearing from the other witnesses, the Jury returned a finding of Death by Misadventure.


At Salford Police Court on Wednesday 23rd July, John Earnshaw, Landlord of the British Queen public house was again brought up on remand, charged with the wilful murder of Patrick Veldon. The Chief Constable had consulted with the Director of Public Prosecutions and had decided that in view of the Inquest returning a finding of Death by Misadventure, he did not intend to move in the matter and would not present any evidence. Stipendiary Magistrate Mr J Makinson said that Earnshaw had acted in self defence and he would be discharged.


The Funeral of Patrick Veldon took place on Saturday 19th July. The body had lain for several days at the house of Mr Murray, the father of Mrs Veldon. At the time the cortege left the house, the street was packed with thousands of spectators. The coffin, which was of oak and brass mounted, bore the inscription "Patrick Veldon, died July 12th 1902, age 29 years". The proceedings were orderly and the service was read by Rev. Father Carruccio. At Weaste cemetery there were very few people present to witness the interment.