Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1900 & 09

Matthew Tickle (Killed at work) (1878 - 1904)


MATTHEW TICKLE (1878 – 1904)

Matthew Tickle was a 26-year-old Coach Builder, employed by Mr Ralph Griffiths of Strawberry Road, Pendleton, when he became ill due to his work activity and died on 19th November 1904.


He was born in 1878 in St Helens, the son of Matthew (a Publican) and Elizabeth Tickle of 49 Ashcroft Street, Parr, He came to Salford and married Mary Jane Hope in 1899 at St. Thomas's Church, Pendleton. They lived in Albany Street, Pendleton


The Salford Reporter of 3rd December 1904 records an Inquest into Matthew's death held on Tuesday 22nd November 1904 at Pendleton Town Hall. The first witness was Matthew's widow Mary Jane. She said that he was a healthy man and had not ailed of anything lately. She noticed a black mark on his eye and he told her that he'd knocked his eye.

He had fallen on a board whilst working on a van and when he got up he struck his head against another board. He also complained of pains in his head and his face began to swell. He worked until Tuesday night (8th November), when he seemed very poorly. She bathed his eye with hot water and applied a poultice. Matthew did not go to work the next day. On Wednesday evening Dr Massey was called in and on Saturday (12th Nov) he performed an operation. He was ill for another week and died on Saturday 19th November. The Coroner asked Mary Jane if she new that her husband was working with white lead, to which she replied "no".


John Hulme, Bookkeeper of 15, Nursery Street, Salford, in the employ of Mr Ralph Griffiths, Coachbuilder, said that Matthew was employed as a coach body builder. On Tuesday week Matthew had complained of pains in his head, but he did not notice if he had a scratch on his head. He said that Matthew told him that he had knocked his head against some boards in the workroom on Friday (4th November). He had visited Matthew and found his face was much discoloured. Matthew had been bathing his head with comfrey root and it was bandaged. He said that there may have been some paint on the board when he knocked against it.


A letter from Dr Massey said that Matthew had suffered from blood poisoning causing his death. The Jury agreed with this.


The funeral took place on 24th November when he was interred in Plot L of the C of E portion of Weaste Cemetery. Rev T.D.Jones officiated.