Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1857 & 1869

John William Boothman (1804 - 1863)

 John William Boothman owned a colliery, works and farm near Whaley Bridge Cheshire (now Derbyshire).

He was born in Manchester in 1804 and remained unmarried throughout his life. The earliest record available is from the Manchester Courier of 26th September 1840, with the headline, "Revision of the Parliamentary Voters in Manchester. John William Boothman of the firm Thomas Boothman and Co was struck off, it appearing that he resided in Derbyshire and only came to Manchester every Saturday and stopped at his father's house till Monday morning." In the 1941 Pigot's Directory for New Mills, John William Boothman was a Coal Master, Furness and Disley.

The 1851 Census shows that John lived at *Bothams Hall, Yeardsley-cum-Whaley, he was aged 45, unmarried and was a Coal Proprietor. In 1861, he was still a Bothams Hall, but now Sticken Mides, Whaley. He was aged 57 and was a Coal Proprietor employing 44 men and 3 boys.

The Staffordshire Advertiser in 1847 to 1861, records that John William Boothman, of Whaley, Coal Proprietor, was a Partner (Shareholder) of the Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company. John died on 1st March 1863 aged 59. The Manchester Courier of 7th March 1863, in the Deaths column records "BOOTHMAN – on the 1st inst. at his residence Bothomes Hall, Whaley Bridge, John William Boothman Esq."

Two years after John's death the following notice was posted in the Staffordshire Advertiser of 31st March 1866. "Messrs William Pearson and Son have much pleasure in announcing that they are favoured with instructions from the Executors of the late John William Boothman Esq, (in consequence of them giving up the whole of the works and premises) to SELL by AUCTION, on 2nd, 3rd and 4th May 1866 at the FURNESS and WHALEY BRIDGE COLLIERIES, WORKS AND FARM, situate near to the Furness and Whaley Bridge Stations on the Manchester, Stockport and Buxton railway line, the whole of the COLLIERY PLANT, BOATS, FARMSTOCK and effects. Further particulars will be given in future advertisements or may be had from William Pearson and Son, Auctioneers and Valuers of colliery plant, contractors materials and machinery (established 27 years) at 11 Standishgate, Wigan."

I am indebted to the Whaley Bridge Local History Forum for the following about Furness Clough Colliery. Early ownership of the mine is not recorded, although by the mid 19th Century both the mine and a local lime kiln were owned by Mr Boothman of Bothams Hall. Two seams of coal were mined known as White Ash and Red Ash. Later a brick and tile works were established. The mine finally closed in July 1963.

*Bothomes Hall was situated at Bridgemont, Yeardsly-cum-Whaley, Cheshire (now Bridgemont, Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire). It was built in 1670 as a Dower House, associated with the Legh family of nearby Lyme Hall, Disley. In the 1980s the hall and land were compulsory purchased to construct the Whaley Bridge/Chapel-en-le-Frith by-pass. The hall fell into ruin, but has recently been restored into a 7-bedroom house.