Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1930 & 39

Frederick Hampson (1861 - 1930)

Alderman Frederick Hampson was Mayor of Salford Council 1920 – 21 and owned Perseverance Glass Works in Duncan St, off Oldfield Road.


Frederick was born in Hulme in 1861 and came to Salford in 1872. He was educated at St Bartholomew's school, but in 1874, at the age of 13, his father died. A month later he was working at the Perseverance Glass Works in Duncan Street. At 18 years old Frederick left the glass works to gain more experience. He returned again in 1885 to form a partnership with the owner Mr Charles Phillips. When Mr Phillips died in 1891, Frederick became the sole proprietor at the age of 30. The company expanded at a remarkable rate and manufactured bottles, other glass containers, ornamental and other fancy articles and even exported little glass cups to Malaya to collect latex from the rubber trees.


In 1887, Frederick married Mary Ann Phillips, daughter of his business partner. They had three sons and a daughter. Charles (born 1891) became a director of the family company and a Salford Councillor; Frederick (born 1894) became a JP; Lily (born 1895) married Thomas Reed of Surrey; and John (born 1899) also became a director of the family business and Chairman of the Northwest Glass Technologists. The family home was Wentworth, in Ellesmere Park, Eccles.


Frederick was a Conservative and his political career began in 1901 when he was elected Councillor for Ordsall Ward. He had a hectic week in November 1920 when he was appointed a magistrate, elected as an Alderman and proposed as Mayor of Salford. His mayoral year included receiving the Prince of Wales, later to become King Edward V111. His interest in children gained him the nickname "the Children's Mayor". On his wife's birthday they entertained 2,000 children at two gigantic parties at Cross Lane Drill Hall. He was a member of a number of Council Committees including Chairman of the Cemeteries Committee. He was also Chairman of the War Memorial Committee for Weaste Cemetery.


Frederick was also a prominent Freemason, joining Zetland Lodge in 1892, founder of Empire Lodge and a prime mover in the building of the new lodge on the Crescent. He was also a member of many benevolent and sporting organisations. In August 1930 he was critically ill for several weeks, but recovered. However, in December he developed bronchitis and died on the 6th aged 69. His wife Mary Ann died in 1938, aged 78.