Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1960 & 69

Edward Arthur Hardy (1883 - 1960)

Edward Hardy was Mayor of Salford for 1933-34, MP for Salford South from 1945 to 1955 and was awarded Freeman of Salford in 1960.


Edward Arthur Hardy was born in Nottingham in 1883 and came to Salford at a very early age. He was educated at the United Free Church School, Trafford Road and St Clement's School, Ordsall. He started work at the age of 13 in a Hairdresser's shop as a Lather Boy on 2 shillings a week. He learnt hairdressing and when he was 18 he opened his first hairdressing shop on Phoebe Street, Ordsall. Later he had a hairdressing shop at Bexley Square and later Oldfield Road. In the meantime he joined the Salford and District Hairdressers Union and became its Secretary.


In 1921, Edward retired from hairdressing and became Licensee of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Oldfield Road. However, in 1929, he had to give it up due to ill health. Shortly afterwards he became Area Secretary of the National Union of County Officers.


In politics, Edward was Labour. From 1918 to 1924 he was a member of the Salford Board of Guardians and supported the building of the East Lancashire Road. He was first elected to the Council in a by-election for Crescent Ward in August 1922. However, in the November he lost it. In January 1924 he won another by-election, this time in Trinity Ward and held it until November 1931. Then in November 1932 he won Regent Ward. The following year he was elected Mayor of Salford. During his mayoralty, he and his wife Amy received King George V and Queen Mary when they officially opened the East Lancashire Road.


He had a very busy civic and trade union life and was a member of most Council Committees including Chair of the Transport Committee, where he transformed Salford's tramways to buses. He was also appointed JP in 1933. Edward was elected MP for Salford South in 1945, which he held for 10 years. In 1955 he stepped down after an operation and poor health. He was appointed Alderman and in later years he was the outstanding statesman of Salford as arbiter and peacemaker.


On 20th January 1960, Edward Hardy, along with three others, became Freeman of Salford. He had been unwell for some time and went into Hope Hospital straight after the ceremony. His condition rapidly deteriorated and he died on 4th February 1960, aged 76.