Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1890 & 99

Uriah Nichols (1824 - 1890)

Uriah Nichols was the proprietor of Perseverance Ironworks and was a well respected Freemason.


He was born in 1824 in Worsley. In 1845 he married Harriet E Smith at Eccles Parish Church and they had 7 children. Charles Edward (born 1852), James William (born 1853), Catherine (born 1857), Edwin Arthur (born 1859), Walter Herbert Izon (born 1861), Ada Emma (born 1863) and Frank Albert Leonard (born 1866). The 1881 census reveals that the family was living at 118 Cross Lane, Salford. Uriah was described as a Master Engineer employing 13 men. There was no occupation given for his wife Harriet or children: Catherine (aged 24), Edwin A. (aged 21), Walter J. (age 19), Ada (aged 18) and Frank (aged 14). Uriah's nephew James Nichols (aged 24, draughtsman) was also in the house on that night. Uriah's son Charles E. Nichols (aged 29, Mechanical Engineer) was residing at 362, Liverpool Street Pendleton with his wife Esther Jane, 8-year-old daughter Lillian Jane and 66-year-old father-in-law James Pickston. Uriah died on 19th July 1890.


The Salford Reporter of 26th July 1890 records, "We regret to announce the decease last Saturday, of Mr Uriah Nichols, who was a well known figure in the borough. He was 65 years old. Mr Nichols, who had long been in failing health, had been attended by Dr Mitchell of Weaste. He leaves a family of 5 sons and 2 daughters to mourn his loss. Mr Nichols was an engineer and carried on business until recently at the Perseverance Ironworks, Duncan Street, Oldfield Road, Salford. He was a man of considerable mechanical skill and ingenuity, and was awarded numerous medals and certificates for his inventions.


Mr Nichols was a supporter of the Conservative Party and was formerly an active worker. He received many invitations to stand for the Town Council, but he never would consent. He was connected with the Zetland Masonic Lodge at the Crescent, Salford and has passed through all the chairs of the craft, being much respected by the brethren."


The Funeral took place on Wednesday 23rd July 1890. The cortege of the hearse and five broughams left Uriah's residence on Poplar Grove, Cross Lane, Pendleton containing his sons Charles Edward, James William, Edwin Arthur, Walter Herbert and Frank Albert; W. Nichols (brother), James Nichols and Henry Atkinson (nephews) and representatives of Zetland Lodge: J.A. Wooley (WM), J.W. Booth (SW), W. Lee (PM), T. Pike (PM), W.H. Fulford (PM), W. Riddle (PM, OG), A.W. Sidebottom (Secretary), W.H. Wood (Chaplain), R.B. Robinson (LG), J.T. Hooper (PM), G.T. Cutting (PM), G. Sidebottom, M. Baxter, W. Egan, J. Illingworth, J. Shires, G. Hakin, T. Watson, P. Kinsey, W. Jones, J. Griffiths and W. Lowcock. There were many friends and members of the craft assembled at the graveside in plot A11 of the Church of England Portion, to pay their last respects. Rev James Clark of the Bible Christian Church performed the ceremony.


fter the funeral the brethren returned to the Masonic Hall where tea had been provided. A short meeting was held at which the WM and the Past Masters Hooper, Cutting, Packwood, and Riddle made touching references to Uriah. They had all been co-workers with Uriah for the last 25 to 30 years and each bore testimony to his sterling qualities. He was always ready to give advice and assistance. The whole meeting joined in their deepest expressions of sympathy with the family in their loss.