Timothy Boddington was a Corn Merchant and the younger brother of the founder of the renowned Manchester brewery, Boddington's.
He was born in Thame, Oxfordshire, on 28th February 1817, the son of Baptists, John and Elizabeth Boddington. His father was a Master Miller and he was the eighth child of ten, although three did not survive infancy. His elder brother John came to Manchester, followed by Henry (who founded Boddington's Brewery) and then himself in 1836. In 1839 he established a Corn Merchant business in Broad Street, Pendleton.
Timothy Boddington married Alice Rushton in October 1838 and they had a daughter Anne, who married Robert Leigh and had five children. At first Timothy and Alice lived above the business, but later moved to Howard House, Howard Street, off Eccles New Road, near Trafford Road. Timothy took his son-in-law into partnership and the business was known as Boddington and Leigh, with depots in Shudehill and Long Millgate, Manchester as well as Broad Street, Pendleton.
He was a strong member of the United Free Methodist Church in Eccles New Road, and could be described as the father of the UMF churches in the district with his devotion and huge financial support. He laid six foundation stones between 1864 and 1880 at Liverpool Street Chapel, Moor Lane Chapel, (Swinton), Hankinson Street Chapel, Hankinson Street School, Eccles New Road School and Hankinson Street enlarge-ment. He was a teacher at Eccles New Road Chapel and Superintendent for 30 years. On Thursdays he would visit the poor.
In politics Boddington was a moderate Liberal. He was elected to the first Salford School Board and stood twice for Salford Council, but was narrowly defeated both times.
Timothy's wife Alice died in September 1880 and he married again to Mary Ann Hall. However, he died 5 years later, in 1885, at the age of 68. The funeral service was held at the Eccles New Road Chapel, then a cortege of 25 carriages proceeded to Weaste Cemetery.
In 1886, a memorial tablet was unveiled at the Eccles New Road Chapel, followed in 1889 by a huge memorial stained glass window, displaying the Good Samaritan, the Parable of the Talents, flowers and quotations.