Samuel Armitage was the fourth son of Sir Elkanah Armitage and was a cotton manufacturer in Salford.
Samuel was born at his parents home, 85, Chapel Street, Salford on 30th August 1828. He was educated at private schools before joining his father's cotton manufacturing business. At the age of 21 he became a partner of Sir Elkanah Armitage and Sons.
He was a private man and focussed on his business duties. He was benevolent and generously supported Salford Royal Hospital, Pendlebury Children's Hospital and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. He was Vice President of Manchester City Missions and Chairman of Directors of Manchester Free Trade Hall Company Ltd.
He was a staunch Liberal and a member of Salford West branch, but did not seek office. He was content to made donations to the Party. He was once invited to become a Justice of the Peace, but declined. Like his father he was a Congregationalist and worshipped at the Union Chapel on Oxford Street, Manchester.
He married Miss Henrietta Kershaw, daughter of the late James Kershaw MP in 1857 . They had five children, Edith Mary (1858), James Kershaw (1859), Alice (1862), Alfred Kershaw (1865) and Samuel Harold (1872). Edith married David A Bannerman and James died aged 23 in 1882.
Samuel was comparatively active and robust until about a year before he died. He then suffered repeated haemorrhages in his final year. It was on Monday 18th June 1906 that he succumbed and died at home, Chaseley House, Eccles Old Road, Pendleton. After a private family service at home, his body was taken in an open funeral car to be cremated at Manchester Crematorium. His ashes were put into a marble casket and buried at Weaste Cemetery in a plot next to his father. The service was conducted by Rev. J.E.Roberts and the funeral arrangements were by Messrs Kendal Milne.