John Stranaghan spent 24 years with Salford Fire Brigade, retiring in 1943 as Chief Superintendent.
John was born in Scotland, but came to Salford at a very early age. He was educated St. Bartholomew's School, Tatton Street, Salford, then started work at Metropolitan Vickers Ltd in Trafford Park, serving his time as an engineer. At the outbreak of the First World War, John joined the Royal Navy as an Engine Room Articifer. He was connected with destroyers and the Fourth Flotilla stationed at Devonport.
On cessation of hostilities, John was appointed as Motor Mechanic to Salford Lighting and Cleansing Department, in charge of all motor vehicles. This was to be for only a few months, for in 1919 he was appointed Sergeant Mechanic to Salford Fire Brigade - a newly created post. In 1926, John was promoted to Inspector and then in June 1927 he was promoted again to Chief Inspector. Further promotions followed, to Superintendent in 1930 and to Chief Superintendent in 1936. In 1941, Salford Fire Brigade became part of the National Fire Service (NFS) and John carried on as Divisional Officer. In March 1943 he retired due to ill health.
John Stranaghan was a long serving member of the Boys Brigade and officer of the 2nd Manchester Company at Longford Hall. He was a leading member of the ambulance section there. He was also a prominent Freemason and had the role of Steward in Zetland Lodge. He lived in Rivington Road, Pendleton, where he died on Saturday 25th March 1944, aged 53. His Funeral service was at Christ Church, Acton Square, followed by interment at Weaste Cemetery.