Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1857 & 1869

James Coulburn (1808 - 1861)

James Coulbourn was a dedicated teetotaller, whose funeral attracted many of his teetotal friends.


The Salford Weekly News of 20th July 1861 reports, "On Sunday last, (14th July 1861), the remains of the late Mr James Coulbourn, for 21 years a constant teetotaller and also chairman of the Lombard Street Society, who died in Wood Street, Salford on Monday 8th July, were interred. The Manchester societies assembled and joined the Salford teetotallers in Chapel Street. The hearse was drawn by 4 horses, preceded by a band playing the Dead March in Saul and followed by upwards of 800 persons. In this order they proceeded to the Salford Borough Cemetery, Eccles New Road, where the body was interred after the usual service. The deceased was for many years past in the employ of Messrs Leeming, worsted manufacturers of Adelphi, Salford."


James was 53 years of aged and left a widow. The service was conducted by Rev.E.B.Chalmer and the coffin was placed into grave number AA-1890 in the Church of England portion of Weaste Cemetery.


Previously interred in this grave was another teetotaller James Leach of Manchester, aged 52, who died on 20th October 1858 at his workplace, *Atlas Works, Great Bridgewater Street, Manchester. The service was conducted by Rev.J.N.Pocklington. The inscription on the grave reads, "Erected as a public testimonial of respect for his valued and consistent labours in the total abstinence cause for nearly 20 years. Thousands of members followed his remains to the silent grave".


* Atlas Works belonged to Sharp, Roberts and Co who constructed locomotives for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway. Although these 2-2-0 locos were called "Sharpies" they were actually designed by the other partner Richard Roberts. The first loco was No 32 "Experiment" and three similar locos were constructed for the Dublin and Kingstown Railway. However, the vertical boiler was prone to leakage and it was discontinued. A different design with a 2-2-2 configuration was made between 1837 and 1857, and 600 of them were exported to France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Russia and Spain.