Henry Kellett was a Chemist and Druggist with a business on Chapel Street Salford, and was a Salford Councillor for a short period.
He was born in Leyland on 18th August 1830. His parents were Richard and Sarah Kellett. In 1853 he was married and his wife's name was Lucy. They had seven children, all born in Salford: Arthur H. (born 1854), Margaret Ann (born 24th March 1855 and Christened at Sacred Trinity Church on 8th July 1855), Elizabeth (1856 and Christened at Manchester Cathedral on 8th January 1857), Thomas Frank (born 10th April 1859 and Christened at Sacred Trinity Church on 10th July 1859), Henry jnr, (born 1861 and Christened at Sacred Trinity on 23rd June 1861), Lucy (born 1863 and Christened at Sacred Trinity on 7th June 1863) and Walter (born 1865).
The 1881 census reveals that the family was living at 87 and 89 Chapel Street, Salford. Henry was 50 and described as a Druggist and Dentist. Lucy was 51 and born at Wigan. Henry (junior) was 19 and a Druggist Apprentice, daughter Lucy was 17 and Walter was 16 and a scholar. Also in the house was Henry's niece Elizabeth Hickoes (aged 27 and born in Wigan). Arthur H. Kellett was a Chemist Assistant, aged 27 and living at 52 Broad Street, Pendleton with his wife Anna (aged 27 and born at Ashton) and their 1 year old daughter Edith.
The Salford Reporter of 24th May 1890 records, "Mr Henry Kellett, chemist and druggist, died at his place of business in Chapel Street, near Trinity Church, under painfully sudden circumstances on Wednesday night (1st May 1890) at the age of 60. The deceased, who had lately removed his family from the Crescent to the house formerly owned by Alderman Keavney in Eccles Old Road, Pendleton, was apparently in his usual state of health up to half past seven, having been at business all day. He had at times suffered from a pain in the chest and it returned suddenly. Dr Bradbury was sent for, but arrived as the deceased gentleman drew his last breath. He leaves a widow and seven children"
Henry Kellett served as a member of the Council and as a member of the Board of Guardians. In June 1877, when Councillor Colin Mather died, he stood for and won Trinity Ward, but he decided to step down three years later. He was a church warden at Holy Trinity Church for many years before moving to Christ Church, Acton Square. He took a great interest in the Ship Canal undertaking.
The funeral was held on Saturday 24th May. The cortege left Henry's residence, 8, Eccles Old Road, at 11.30 am. Preceding the hearse was a carriage occupied by four clergymen, Rev Canon Stowell, Rev H.F. Gore-Booth (Sacred Trinity), Rev J.A. Pattinson (Christ Church, Salford) and Rev E Greenhill (Christ Church Accrington). Other carriages were occupied by Henry's three sons and a brother and many prominent friends. The service at the Church of England chapel at the cemetery was conducted by Rev E. Greenhill, who was formerly the Curate at Sacred Trinity. At the graveside in plot A11, Rev Canon Stowell officiated. There were many wreaths and floral tributes.