Weaste Cemetery

Biographies of people buried between 1900 & 09

George Henry Taylor (1830 - 1904)

George Henry Taylor was an Estate Agent, Salford Councillor for 8 years and a member of the Salford Board of Governors.


He was born on 7th November 1830 in Oldfield Road, Salford. He was a painter by trade, but after only a few years he decided that owning property would give him a better living. He built and owned a large number of houses and owned an Estate Agent business, which his son George Henry junior, joined and inherited (when his father retired early), at 243 Eccles New Road, Weaste.


George was married four times. Firstly to Phoebe Speakman in 1855 at St.Mary's, Manchester. Their children were George Henry Jnr (born 1856) and James H., (born 1857) who went on to become a Doctor in Weaste and who died in 1932. Sadly, Phoebe died on 15th April 1864. The second marriage was in 1864, to Henrietta Harrison by Registrar in Salford. Tragically she was to die a few months later on 15th October 1864 at the age of 21. George Henry married for a third time to Ann Manchester at St.John's Church, Manchester in 1865. She died on 13th July 1884 at the age of 50. Wife number four was Ann's younger sister Jane Manchester. They were married at St.James's Church, Gorton in 1886. She survived him and died on 6th July 1916 aged 79. Throughout his married life, George Henry lived on Oldfield Road, Regent Road and finally at Holly House on Eccles New Road.


George Henry Taylor was connected with the Methodist Free Church. In 1874 he joined Liverpool Street United Methodist Free Church and erected their new premises. When a section of the congregation decided to leave, he went with them and became a founder member of the United Methodist Free Church in Eccles New Road. Here he was a close friend of Timothy Boddington. George was an earnest advocate of temperance and took an active interest in the Excelsior Band of Hope Society. He became a Sunday School teacher, Superintendent and Lay Preacher.


In politics, George was a Liberal. He was elected Councillor for St. Stephen's Ward in 1873 and served until 1881. He was also a member of the Salford Board of Guardians for a number of years, under the chairmanship of Rev. James Clark. He was a fluent speaker and a good friend of the poor.


Towards the end of his life George suffered ill health. He died at his residence, Holly House, Eccles New Road, on Monday 30th May 1904 at the age of 73. The funeral was held on the morning of Friday 3rd June. As Jane was very ill, a service was held at Holly House conducted by Revs. W.H.C.Harris (President of the UMFC), Thomas Cooper (of Eccles and formerly of Salford) and E.D.Cornish (Chapel Secretary, Methodist Free Church and formely Minister at Eccles New Road church). The cortege proceeded to Weaste Cemetery where Rev W.H. Cory-Harris committed his remains into plot B2 in the Dissenters portion.