Edward Denson was a Hay and Straw dealer and became a Councillor for Salford Borough Council for a short period.
The Salford Reporter of 2nd September 1899 records that Edward was born in Rossett, near Chester. He was educated at the Duke of Devonshire's School in Rossett and achieved several prizes for meritorious conduct. As a young man, he was employed by the London and North Western Railway Company as a guard on the Holyhead line. In 1850 he came to Salford to set up business as a hay and straw dealer. He always acted on strict conscientious and honest business principals and people delighted to do business with him.
In 1887, Edward Denson was elected to represent the people of St. Stephen's Ward although he was defeated by Councillor Griffiths three years later. In 1895 he was elected for Weaste Ward which he retained until his death. He served on the Gas, Highways, Town Halls and Markets, Tramways and Lighting Committees. Although a Liberal, he believed in supporting public utilities irrespective of party politics. His policy was principal not politics.
He was a staunch upholder of the sanctity of the Sabbeth and was a vigorous opponent of opening museums and libraries on Sundays. He was a Methodist and from his early days was a member of the United Methodist Free Church in Clare Street, Liverpool Street, Salford. Then he, along with Timothy Boddington, was one of the founders and generously supported, the United Methodist Free Church on Eccles New Road, which was built in 1873. Edward was Superintendent of the Sunday school there for 24 years, Trustee and Steward of the chapel and a class leader.
In early July 1899, Edward became ill with inflamed kidneys. His condition deteriorated and he died on 24th August at his residence, Daisy Bank, Weaste. He was 72 years of age. The funeral took place on Monday 28th August. Reverend F Marrs of Nottingham, (formerly Minister of the United Free Methodist Church on Eccles New Road). conducted a short service at Daisy Bank. The cortege then proceeded to the church where Reverend E.D.Cornish conducted the service, opening with "O God Our Hope in Ages Past". Then the cortege proceeded to Weaste Cemetery. The hearse was drawn by four horses. His widow Grace and a large number of family and friends gathered at the graveside, including the Mayor Alderman S.Rudman.